The 20mm Flakvierling 38 was a German antiaircraft gun used during World War II. Consisting of four barrels on a common mount, it featured collapsing seats, folding handles and ammunition racks. The mount has a triangular base with a jack at each leg for leveling the gun. The tracker traverses and elevates the mount manually using two handwheels.
The guns are fired by a set of two foot-pedals and can be operated either automatically of semi-automatically. It was widely used against low-flying Allied aircraft and was often installed in flak towers and other permanent mounts. The gun on display was captured in 1945 by the 2nd Armored Division in the Ruhr Valley in Germany. It was restored by museum volunteers.
Caliber: 20mm (.79 in.) Barrel length: 51.5 in. including flash hider Weight: 3,200 lbs. Height: 10 ft. 1 in. (guns elevated) Maximum vertical range: 4,012 yards Rate of fire: 800 rpm practical; 1,400 rpm cyclic Magazine capacity: 20 rounds Storage capacity: 16 magazines (320 rounds)