The YP-24 was an experimental pursuit plane, a two-place, low-wing fighter, with retractable landing gear designed by Detroit Aircraft Corp. engineer Robert J. Woods. Metal-skinned fuselage built in Detroit, Mich., and wooden wing plus final assembly done at Lockheed Aircraft Corp. in Burbank, Calif. Lockheed termed it the XP-900.
It was completed in 1931, and sent to Dayton, Ohio, for testing on Sept. 29, 1931. Air Corps contracted for five Y1P-24s and five YA-9s (attack bomber version), but they were never completed, as Detroit-Lockheed went bankrupt in 1931. Designer Woods went with Consolidated Aircraft in Buffalo, N.Y., which continued styling in a new ship designated the Y1P-25, further continued as the P-30 and P-30A.
The original and only YP-24 was destroyed on Oct. 19, 1931, after the landing gear malfunctioned (wouldn't extend) and the pilot was forced to bail out.
Low wing, two place monoplane
TECHNICAL NOTES: Armament: One .30-cal. and one .50-cal. machine gun firing through the propeller; one .30-cal. gun aft. Engine:Curtiss V-1570-23 Conqueror of 602 hp Maximum speed: 214.5 mph Service ceiling: 26,400 ft. Range: 556 miles Span: 42 ft. 9.25 in. Length: 28 ft. 9 in. Serial number: 32-320