Republic F-84F-25-RE (S/N 51-1747) of the 162nd Tactical Fighter Squadron during Operation "Punchcard IV." Note the open drag chute door -- the chute was lost during flight (accidentally deployed!). (U.S. Air Force photo)
Aerial view of about 100 parked Republic F-84Fs during Operation "Stair Step." Note that aircraft were towed to the end of the runway to conserve as much fuel as possible for the trans-atlantic flight. (U.S. Air Force photo)
The swept-wing F-84F evolved from the straight-wing F-84. The prototype first flew on June 3, 1950, and deliveries began in 1954, primarily to the tactical Air Command as a ground support fighter bomber.
Republic built 2,112 -Fs while General Motors fabricated an additional 599. Of these, 1,301 were delivered to NATO air forces. Production of a reconnaissance version, the RF-84F totaled 715 aircraft, including 386 for allied countries. The RF-84F featured engine air intakes at the wing roots plus cameras in the nose.
F-84Fs gradually were replaced by supersonic F-100s in the late 1950s and were turned over to Air National Guard units; however, some F-84Fs were called back to temporary USAF service in the early 1960s due to the Berlin Crisis.
TECHNICAL NOTES: Armament: Six .50-cal. machine guns and 24 5-in. rockets; 6,000 lbs. of bombs externally Engine: Wright J65-W-3 of 7,220 lbs. thrust Maximum speed: 685 mph Cruising speed: 535 mph Range: 1,900 mi. Service ceiling: 44,450 ft. Span: 33 ft. 7 in. Length: 43 ft. 5 in. Height: 15 ft. 0 in. Weight: 27,000 lbs. maximum Crew: One