The B-25A was an improved version of the B-25 incorporating changes designed to make the aircraft combat ready. Self-sealing fuel tanks were installed along with crew armor. The tail gunner's area was improved, but the armament remained the same: one .50-cal. machine gun in the tail with three .30-cal. machine guns in the nose, waist and tunnel positions.
Forty B-25As were ordered by the Army and distributed to various bomb groups throughout the United States with the largest number being delivered to the 17th Bomb Group at McChord AAF, Wash., for coastal defense duties. By 1942, the B-25A was declared obsolete and redesignated RB-25A.
Improved B-25; Model NA-62A
TECHNICAL NOTES: Armament: Three .30-cal. and one .50-cal. machine guns, plus 3,600 lbs. of bombs Engines: Two Wright R-2600-9 turbo-supercharged radials of 1,700 hp each (takeoff power) Maximum speed: 315 mph at 15,000 ft. Cruising speed: 262 mph Range: 1,350 miles with 3,000 lbs. bomb load Service ceiling: 27,000 ft. Span: 67 ft. 7 in. Length: 54 ft. 1 in. Height: 15 ft. 9 in. Weight: 27,100 lbs. (maximum) Crew: Five Serial numbers: 40-2189 to 40-2228