National Museum of the USAF   Right Corner Banner
Join the Air Force

Home > Fact Sheets > Boeing B-29D

BOEING B-29D

Posted 6/26/2009 Printable Fact Sheet

The B-29D was designed as an improved version of the basic B-29 featuring Pratt & Whitney R-4360-35 radial engines of 3500 hp each, a taller vertical stabilizer and a strengthened wing. Because of extensive design differences with the B-29 and drastic cutbacks in military spending after the end of World War II, the B-29D was redesignated B-50. The new designation was partly due to Congressional reluctance to continue funding WWII programs, the B-50 designation made the aircraft appear to be completely new even though it wasn't. But the design changes were extensive enough to save the program. The first B-50s were ordered in 1946 and built as B-50A.


Type Number built/
converted
Remarks
B-29D 0 Became B-50


Click here to return to the Bomber Aircraft index.







 Inside the Museum

ima cornerSearch

ima cornerAircraft

 


tabCategories
tabRelated Links
tabConnect

Museum Virtual TourMuseum PodcastsMuseum E-newsletter Sign-upMuseum RSS Feeds
Museum Facebook PageMuseum Twitter PageMuseum Pinterest PageMuseum Flickr PageMuseum YouTube Channel



Site Map      Contact Us     Questions     USA.gov     Security and Privacy notice     E-publishing  
Suicide Prevention    SAPR   IG   EEO   Accessibility/Section 508   No FEAR Act