Home Fact Sheets
Printable Fact Sheet
Two B-50Ds (S/N 47-170 and 48-046) were used as a prototypes for the tanker version of the B-50. The aircraft were redesignated KB-50D when equipped with modifications necessary for in flight refueling. The conversions were completed by Hayes Aircraft Corp. in 1957 and included a lengthened tail cone which housed a drogue-type refueling hose. Two additional refueling hoses were fitted in wingtip pods. The Tactical Air Command began receiving KB-50s in 1958 and used them to refuel fighters equipped with refueling probes.
||In-flight refueling tanker prototype
TECHNICAL NOTES (production B-50D):
Armament: 13 .50-cal. machine guns and 28,000 lbs. of bombs; the drop tank pylons were capable of carrying one 4,000-lb. bomb each
Engines: Four Pratt & Whitney R-4360-35 Wasp Major turbosupercharged radials of 3,500 hp each
Maximum speed: 380 mph at 25,000 ft. and combat weight of 123,000 lbs.
Cruising speed: 277 mph
Range: 4,900 miles with 10,000-lb. bomb load; 7,750 miles maximum ferry range
Service ceiling: 36,700 ft.
Span: 141 ft. 3 in.
Length: 99 ft. 0 in.
Height: 32 ft. 8 in.
Weight: 173,000 lbs. (maximum takeoff weight)
Crew: Eight or nine normally [pilot, copilot, flight engineer, bombardier, radio operator, and four gunners (top, tail, left and right)]
Serial numbers: 47-170 (originally B-50D-65-BO) and 48-046 (B-50D-70-BO)
Click here to return to the Bomber Aircraft index.