Fourteen Boeing RB-50Bs were converted for use as aerial reconnaissance aircraft with specialized equipment for aerial mapping and geographic survey missions. These aircraft were redesignated RB-50F and had SHORAN (SHOrt RANge) radar navigation systems installed. Like the RB-50E, the -F model initially retained the defensive armament of 13 .50-cal. machine guns in five remote controlled, remote sighted, power turrets; however, the armament was removed late in the aircraft service life when the aircraft was used for secondary reconnaissance and training missions.
The RB-50F conversions were done in the early 1950s and the first aircraft delivered to the Strategic Air Command became operational in 1951. The -F model was used well into the 1960s in secondary reconnaissance and training roles.
TECHNICAL NOTES (production B-50D):
Armament: 13 .50-cal. machine guns initially, none on some aircraft late in service life Engines: Four Pratt & Whitney R-4360-35 Wasp Major turbosupercharged radials of 3,500 hp each Maximum speed: 380 mph at 25,000 ft. and combat weight of 123,000 lbs. Cruising speed: 277 mph Range: 7,750 miles maximum ferry range Service ceiling: 36,700 ft. Span: 141 ft. 3 in. Length: 99 ft. 0 in. Height: 32 ft. 8 in. Weight: 173,000 lbs. (maximum takeoff weight) Crew: 10 Serial numbers: 47-121, -134, -137 to -142, -144, -146, -158 to -160, -162