The YB-36G was designed as an all-jet version of the B-36. Eight Pratt & Whitney XJ57-P-3 turbojet engines were mounted in four nacelles in an arrangement very similar to the Boeing B-52. The USAF authorized Convair to modify two B-36Fs (S/N 49-2676 and 49-2684) in early 1951. Although the G was similar to the basic B-36, there was substantial reengineering done including a completely new 37-degree swept wing. The design was eventually redesignated YB-60 to reflect these differences. The first flight was April 18, 1952, and performance was better than the B-36, but was greatly inferior to the Boeing XB-52. The YB-60 never entered production. The second prototype aircraft was never completely finished, and both YB-60s were scrapped in the mid-1950s.
Eight jet version of B-36
TECHNICAL NOTES: Armament: Designed for two 20mm cannons in the tail and up to 72,000 lbs. of bombs Engines: Eight Pratt & Whitney XJ57-P-3 turbojets of 8,700 lbs. thrust each Maximum speed: Approx. 510 mph Cruising speed: 435 mph Range: 10,000 miles maximum ferry range Service ceiling: 52,000 ft. Span: 206 ft. 0 in. Length: 171 ft. 0 in. Height: 50 ft. 0 in.
Weight: 300,000 lbs. maximum Crew: Five (pilot, copilot, navigator, bombardier, tail gunner) Serial numbers: 49-2676 and 49-2684 (S/N 49-2684 was never completed)