The Lockheed A-29 was the contract designation assigned to Hudson attack aircraft built for export under Lend-Lease agreements. The primary difference between the A-28 series and A-29 series aircraft was the engine installed. The A-28 has Pratt & Whitney R-1830 radial engines while the A-29 used Wright R-1820 radial engines. The A-29 was slightly slower than the A-28, but had a greater range. The Royal Air Force received the bulk of the A-29s as Hudson Mk.IV.
The U.S. Army Air Corps reclaimed 153 aircraft (BW 461 to BW 613) for use early in World War II. The A-29s were initially assigned to U.S. coastal defense units. Some A-29s were assigned to antisubmarine patrol squadrons and at least one submarine was sunk in the summer of 1942. The A-29s were soon replaced by more modern, capable aircraft and were then reassigned to second line duties. A-29s were used for air crew training, liaison, light cargo and staff transport roles. The U.S. Navy received 20 aircraft for use in the Patrol Bomber mission and re-designated them as PBO-1 (diverted BW 361 to BW 380).
Wright powered A-28
TECHNICAL NOTES: Armament: Two .30-cal. machine guns fixed in the nose and one .50-cal. machine gun in a flexible dorsal position (RA-29) plus 1,400 lbs. of bombs, other armament variations included a twin .30-cal. dorsal turret and one .30-cal. ventral "tunnel" gun Engines: Two Wright R-1820-87 Cyclone radial engines of 1,200 hp each Maximum speed: 250 mph Cruising speed: 205 mph Range: 2,800 statute miles Service ceiling: 26,500 ft. Span: 65 ft. 6 in. Length: 44 ft. 4 in. Height: 11 ft. 10 in. Weight: 22,300 lbs. maximum Serial numbers: 41-23223 to 41-23628; 41-23630 to 41-23639; 41-36968 to 41-37167 (RAF: BW 361 to BW 766; BW 768 to BW 777; FH 167 to FH 366)