After completion of acceptance testing at Wright Field, Ohio, the two YC-30s purchased by the Air Corps were re-designated as C-30s and assigned as executive staff VIP transports at Bolling Field, Washington, D.C. The C-30 had several innovative features designed for passenger comfort. The fuselage was fabric covered; however, the interior walls were extensively sound proofed to provide a relatively quiet cabin. Each passenger seat had an individually controllable hot/cold air vent and there was hot and cold running water in the cabin lavatory.
As newer VIP transports came into service in 1934 and 1935, the C-30s were assigned as regular staff transports. When the Air Corps briefly flew the Air Mail in the winter and spring of 1934, the C-30s were used in the Eastern Zone.
The aircraft remained in service at various locations including Maxwell Field, Ala. and Scott Field, Ill., and performed various missions finally ending up as maintenance trainers in late 1937. The planes were both removed from Air Corps service in 1938, one in June and the other in September.
Twin engine biplane
Redesignation after testing completed
TECHNICAL NOTES: Engines: Two Wright R-1820-23 radials of 650 hp each Maximum speed: 161 mph Cruising speed: 130 mph Range: 720 miles Service ceiling: 23,000 ft. Span: 82 ft. 0 in. Length: 50 ft. 4 in.
Height: 16 ft. 4 in. Weight: 17,500 lbs. maximum gross weight Crew: Three (pilot, co-pilot, navigator/engineer) Passenger capacity: 15 in transport configuration, 6-10 in VIP configuration Serial numbers: 33-320 and 33-321