After the end of World War II, large numbers of Beech C-45 Expeditors were kept and used as light transport, training and liaison aircraft. In 1951 the Air Force authorized a large upgrade program for several hundred C-45, AT-7 and AT-11 aircraft.
During the major overhaul process, the planes were completely torn down and inspected. Worn and damaged parts were replaced along with several planned upgrades. The center wing section was replaced with a new and stronger assembly. The landing gear was replaced with a stronger version. The propellers were replaced by constant speed, feathering models. The instruments were replaced and in many cases, upgraded to more modern versions. Finally, an autopilot system was added.
Because of the extensive modifications done to the aircraft, all were re-designated as C-45G and assigned new 1951 serial numbers. A total of 372 aircraft were converted and continued to serve the USAF throughout the 1950s and into the 1960s, gradually being transferred to Air National Guard units.
A separate, but similar program was established in 1951 to convert 96 C-45s to navigation trainers. These aircraft had most of the same upgrades as the C-45Gs and also had an interior upgrade to accommodate a pilot, co-pilot/navigator instructor and three navigator students. These aircraft were designated as TC-45G.
Beech Model B18S
8 seat improvement
Seven place version
Rebuilt C-45, AT-7 & AT-11
Navigator Training Aircraft
TECHNICAL NOTES: Engines: Two Pratt & Whitney R-985-AN-3 Wasp Junior radials of 450 hp each Maximum speed: 205 mph Cruising speed: 175 mph Range: 1,100 miles Service ceiling: 19,000 ft. Span: 47 ft. 8 in. Length: 34 ft. 8 in. Height: 9 ft. 2 in. Weight: 9,100 lbs. loaded weight Crew: One or two (pilot and co-pilot) Passenger capacity: Five or six (three for TC-45G) Serial numbers: 51-11444 to 51-11503; 51-11600 to 51-11911; TC-45G: 51-11504 to 51-11599