Designed to replace the World War II era T-6 trainer, the T-28 possessed higher performance than its forerunner and was easier to maintain. Also, the Trojan's tricycle landing gear taught pilots to take off and land in the same fashion as the high-performance aircraft they were training to fly.
The first T-28 flew in September 1949, and the T-28A entered production in 1950. An 800-hp engine powered the U.S. Air Force version (T-28A) while the later U.S. Navy versions (T-28B and C) were powered by a 1,425-hp engine. When production ended, North American had built a total of 1,948 T-28s. Beginning in 1962 the USAF modified more than 200 T-28As as tactical fighter-bombers for counterinsurgency warfare. Equipped with 1,425-hp engines, these airplanes (redesignated the T-28D "Nomad") were effective weapons for close air support against enemy troops in Southeast Asia.
The USAF replaced the T-28 as a primary trainer in the mid-1950s with the piston-engined Beech T-34 Mentor and jet-powered Cessna T-37. Trojans, however, continued to be flown by the Air National Guard until the late 1950s, and by the U.S. Navy into the 1980s.
The Trojan on display was painted as a typical Air Training Command T-28A in the mid-1950s and was transferred to the museum in September 1965.
TECHNICAL NOTES: Engine: Wright R-1300 of 800 hp
Maximum speed: 283 mph Cruising speed: 190 mph Range: 1,000 miles Ceiling: 25,200 ft. Span: 40 ft. 7 in. Length: 32 ft. Height: 12 ft. 8 in. Weight: 7,812 lbs. without external load Serial number: 49-1494