The F-94 series all-weather interceptors were developed from the Lockheed P-80 Shooting Star. The prototype F-94 first flew on July 1, 1949. The Starfire was subsequently produced in the A, B and C series. The F-94C (originally designated the F-97A) was a fundamental redesign of the F-94B and made its first flight on Jan. 18, 1950. Improvements in the F-94C included a higher thrust engine, single point refueling, a redesigned wing, a sweptback horizontal stabilizer, upgraded fire-control and navigation systems, and later, mid-wing rocket pods. Twenty-four rockets were carried in the nose in a ring around the radome, shielded by retractable doors, with an additional 24 in the wing pods, if installed. The F-94C carried no guns. Starfires were employed in the air defense of the continental United States in the 1950s. In the F-94A form, they served as the first all-jet, all-weather interceptor for the Air Defense Command. The last F-94Cs were withdrawn from USAF service in 1959.
The aircraft on display (S/N 50-980) has been painted to represent an F-94C assigned to the 60th Fighter Interceptor Squadron at Otis Air Force Base, Mass. during the late 1950s.
TECHNICAL NOTES: Armament: 24 2.75-in. Folding Fin Air Rockets (FFARs) in nose and 24 FFARs in two wing pods Engine: Pratt & Whitney J48-P-5 or -5A of 8,750 lbs. thrust with afterburner Maximum speed: 640 mph Cruising speed: 476 mph Range: 1,275 miles Ceiling: 51,800 ft. Span: 37 ft. 4 in. Length: 44 ft. 6 in. Height: 14 ft. 11 in. Weight: 24,000 lbs. loaded