The all-weather CF-100 was the only Canadian-designed and Canadian-built fighter to go into large-scale production. Powered by two Canadian-designed Orenda jet engines, the CF-100 entered service with the 445 Squadron in 1953. In 1957 the two-seat CF-100 became an integral part of the newly formed U.S.-Canadian North American Air Defense (NORAD) system.
Side-by-side with USAF units, nine Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) CF-100 squadrons helped protect the continent from potential Soviet bomber attack across the North Pole. Although RCAF fighter squadrons phased out the CF-100 in 1961-1962, it continued to serve as an electronic warfare aircraft well into the 1970s.
Placed on display in 2005, the museum's aircraft is painted to appear as a 428 Squadron CF-100 Mk.4A in the mid-1950s.
TECHNICAL NOTES: Armament: Eight .50-cal machine guns and 58 2.75-inch rockets Engine: Two 6,355-lb. thrust Orenda 9 jet engines Maximum speed: 640 mph Range: 2,000 miles Ceiling: 45,000 ft.