The two-place T-33 jet was designed for training pilots already qualified to fly propeller-driven aircraft. It was developed from the single-seat F-80 fighter by lengthening the fuselage about three feet to accommodate a second cockpit.
Originally designated the TF-80C, the T-33 made its first flight in 1948. Production continued until 1959 with 5,691 T-33s built. In addition to its use as a trainer, the T-33 has been used for such tasks as drone director and target towing, and in some countries even as a combat aircraft. The RT-33A, a reconnaissance version made primarily for use by foreign countries, had a camera installed in the nose and additional equipment in the rear cockpit.
The T-33 is one of the world's best-known aircraft, having served with the air forces of more than 20 different nations over several decades. The T-33A on display was flown to the museum in 1962.
TECHNICAL NOTES: Armament: Two .50-cal. machine guns in nose Maximum speed: 525 mph Cruising speed: 455 mph Range: 1,000 miles Ceiling: 45,000 ft. Span: 37 ft. 6 in. Length: 37 ft. 8 in. Height: 11 ft. 7 in. Weight: 15,000 lbs. maximum Serial number: 53-5974