58th Service Squadron depot. Note the standing water and the engines laying on the ground. The Consolidated B-24D "Strawberry Bitch" is in the center of the photo (with vertical stabilizers removed). (U.S. Air Force photo)
The B-24 was employed in operations in every combat theater during World War II. Because of its great range, it was particularly suited for such missions as the famous raid from North Africa against the oil industry at Ploesti, Rumania, on Aug. 1, 1943. This feature also made the airplane suitable for long over-water missions in the Pacific Theater. More than 18,000 Liberators were produced.
The B-24D on display flew combat missions from North Africa in 1943-1944 with the 512th Bomb Squadron. It was flown to the museum in May 1959. It is the same type airplane as the "Lady Be Good" -- the world-famous B-24D that disappeared on a mission from North Africa in April 1943 and was found in the Libyan Desert in May 1959.
TECHNICAL NOTES: Armament: 10 .50-cal. machine guns and 8,000 lbs. of bombs Engines: Four Pratt & Whitney R-1830s of 1,200 hp each Maximum speed: 303 mph Cruising speed: 175 mph Range: 2,850 miles Ceiling: 28,000 ft. Span: 110 ft. Length: 66 ft. 4 in. Height: 17 ft. 11 in. Weight: 56,000 lbs. loaded Cost: $336,000 Serial number: 42-72843
Note: The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the National Museum of the USAF, the U.S. Air Force, or the Department of Defense, of the external website, or the information, products or services contained therein.