Laister-Kauffmann built the TG-4A in response to an urgent U.S. Army Air Forces requirement for a glider to train assault glider pilots. The TG-4A was a military version of the Laister-Kauffmann Model LK-10 Yankee Doodle two-seat soaring glider. Laister-Kauffmann delivered the first prototype XTG-4 in late December 1941; the company delivered the first production aircraft in July 1942 and completed the last of 150 TG-4As in June 1943.
The fuselage of the TG-4A is made of fabric-covered welded steel tubing while the tail is made of fabric-covered wood. The internal wing structure is wood with the forward one-third of the leading edge covered by plywood and the remainder covered with fabric. The TG-4A, like other early USAAF training gliders, was not an ideal trainer because its flying qualities were very different from cargo gliders. While the TG-4A could soar (and even gain altitude under the right conditions), cargo gliders could only descend with a small margin for error, especially when fully loaded. Student glider pilots normally received about six hours dual instruction in a soaring trainer before flying the larger and heavier CG-4A cargo glider.
The TG-4A suspended from the ceiling of the World War II Gallery was donated to the museum in 1980 by Frederick A. Tietzel and placed on display in 2003.
Crew: Two (instructor pilot and student) Weight: 875 lbs. loaded Glide ratio: 22 to 1