The L-5 was the military version of the commercial Stinson 105 Voyager. The U.S. Army Air Forces purchased six Voyagers in 1941 as YO-54s for testing, and quantity orders for Sentinels began in 1942. Between 1942-1945, the USAAF ordered 3,590 L-5s, making it the second most widely used USAAF liaison aircraft.
The unarmed L-5, with its short field takeoff and landing capability, was used for reconnaissance, front-line aeromedical evacuation, delivering supplies, laying communications wire, spotting enemy targets, personnel transport, rescue and even as a light bomber. In Asia and the Pacific, L-5s remained in service with the U.S. Air Force as late as 1955.
Donated by Dr. Robert R. Kundel of Rice Lake, Wis., the L-5 on display was restored by the "Oriole Club" 133rd Tactical Airlift Wing, Minnesota Air National Guard. Delivered to the museum in 1977, it is marked as an L-5 of the 25th Liaison Squadron serving in New Guinea in 1944.
TECHNICAL NOTES: Engine: Lycoming O-435-1 of 190 hp
Maximum speed: 130 mph Cruising speed: 90 mph Range: 360 miles Ceiling: 15,600 ft. Span: 34 ft. Length: 24 ft. 1 in. Height: 8 ft. 11 1/2 in. Weight: 2,050 lbs. maximum