Note: This aircraft is located in the Presidential Gallery on a controlled-access portion of Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. The gallery will close until further notice beginning May 1, 2013, as part of budget reduction requirements due to sequestration.
The U-4B, an Air Force version of the L-26 Aero Commander, was used by President Dwight D. Eisenhower from 1956 to 1960 for short trips. It was the smallest Air Force One, and the first presidential aircraft to have only two engines. The U-4B was also the first presidential aircraft to carry the familiar blue and white paint scheme.
After President Eisenhower left office the aircraft was used for transporting high-ranking government officials. On Oct. 1, 1969, it was transferred to the Air Force Academy, where it was used for cadet parachute training and the Academy's skydiving team. In November 1977 the U-4B was sent to the Nebraska Civil Air Patrol. It was obtained by the museum from a private owner in 1996.
Span: 44 ft 1 in. Length: 35 ft 5 in. Height: 14 ft 9.5 in. Weight: 4,300 lbs. empty; 7,000 lbs. loaded Armament: None Engines: Two Lycoming GSO 480-AiA6 of 340 hp each Cost: $98,750
PERFORMANCE: Max speed: 260 mph/225 knots Cruising speed: 230 mph/l99 knots Service ceiling: 24,300 ft. Range: 1,500 statute miles/1,300 nautical miles