Note: This aircraft is located in the Research & Development Gallery on a controlled-access portion of Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. Click here for requirements to visit this gallery.
The F-107A was originally designed as a tactical fighter-bomber version of the F-100, with a recessed weapon bay under the fuselage. However, extensive design changes resulted in its redesignation from F-100B to F-107A before the first prototype flew. Special features included an all-moving vertical fin, a control system that permitted the plane to roll at supersonic speeds and a system (Variable Area Inlet Duct) that automatically controlled the amount of air fed to the jet engine.
On Sept. 10, 1956, the No. 1 F-107A made its initial flight, attaining Mach 1.03 (Mach 1, the speed of sound, is about 760 mph at sea level). The aircraft first achieved Mach 2 (twice the speed of sound) in tests on Nov. 3, 1956. Three F-107As were built as prototypes and were test flown extensively, but the aircraft did not go into production, the Republic F-105 having been selected as the standard fighter-bomber for the Tactical Air Command. In late 1957, Nos. 1 and 3 were leased to the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics for high-speed flight research.
The F-107A on display is aircraft No. 2, and its first flight was on Nov. 28, 1956. It was used for weapons testing with both conventional and atomic bombs. It was flown to the museum on Nov. 25, 1957.
Span: 36 ft. 7 in. Length: 60 ft. 10 in. Height: 19 ft. 8 in. Weight: 41,537 lbs. max. Armament: Four 20mm cannons, 108 2.75 in. rockets and up to 4,000 lbs. of bombs Engine: Pratt & Whitney J75 of 23,500 lbs. thrust (with afterburner) Crew: One Serial number: 55-5119 C/N: 212-2
PERFORMANCE: Maximum speed: Mach 2-plus Cruising speed: 600 mph Range: 1,570 miles Service ceiling: 48,000 ft.