The Ju 52 trimotor, like the USAF C-47, was first built in the 1930s and remained in service for more than a quarter century. This transport made its maiden flight in April 1931, and three years later, a heavy bomber version appeared. The latter aircraft formed the nucleus of the Luftwaffe's infant bomber force in the mid-1930s, and it was used during the Spanish Civil War.
The Ju 52 was obsolete as a bomber by 1939, but because of its durability, simplicity of design and handling characteristics, it continued to serve throughout World War II as a versatile workhorse of the German transport fleet. For a period, Adolf Hitler used a Ju 52 as his private transport. Ju 52s delivered the attacking forces and their supplies during the German invasion of Norway, Denmark, France and the Low Countries in 1940. Almost 500 Ju 52s participated in the historic airborne assault on the island of Crete in May 1941, and Junkers later supplied Rommel's armored forces in North Africa.
Approximately 30 different countries have flown Ju 52s. The aircraft on display was donated to the museum by the Spanish government in 1971. Note: This particular aircraft is a CASA 352L.
TECHNICAL NOTES (transport version): Armament: Four 7.9mm machine guns Engines: Three BMW 132T-2 engines of 830 hp each Maximum speed: 178 mph Cruising speed: 134 mph Range: 810 miles Service ceiling: 19,360 ft. Span: 95 ft. 11 1/2 in. Length: 62 ft. Height: 18 ft. 2 1/2 in. Weight: 24,250 lbs. loaded Serial number: T.2B-244 (CASA 352L)