Note: This aircraft is currently undergoing restoration. You can view the restoration progress by participating in the museum's Behind the Scenes Tour.
The C-119, developed from the World War II Fairchild C-82, was designed to carry cargo, personnel, litter patients and mechanized equipment, and to drop cargo and troops by parachute. The first C-119 made its initial flight in November 1947, and by the time production ceased in 1955, more than 1,100 C-119s had been built. The USAF used the airplane extensively during the Korean War and many were supplied to the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps and to the air forces of Canada, Belgium, Italy and India. In South Vietnam, the airplane once again entered combat, this time in a ground support role as AC-119 gunships mounting side-firing weapons capable of firing up to 6,000 rounds per minute per gun.
The C-119J on display was specially modified for the mid-air retrieval of space capsules re-entering the atmosphere from orbit. On Aug. 19, 1960, this aircraft made the world's first midair recovery of a capsule returning from orbit when it "snagged" the parachute lowering the Discoverer XIV satellite at 8,000 feet altitude, 360 miles southwest of Honolulu, Hawaii.
The airplane was delivered to the museum in November 1963.
TECHNICAL NOTES: Armament: None Engines: Two Wright R-3350s of 3,500 hp each Maximum speed: 290 mph Cruising speed: 200 mph Range: 2,000 miles Service ceiling: 30,000 ft. Span: 109 ft. 3 1/4 in. Length: 86 ft. 5 3/4 in. Height: 26 ft. 7 3/4 in. Weight: 66,900 lbs. maximum Serial number: 51-8037
Note: The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the National Museum of the USAF, the U.S. Air Force, or the Department of Defense, of the external website, or the information, products or services contained therein.