The B-23 is a twin-engine bomber developed as a successor to the Douglas B-18 and was first flown in July 1939. Although B-23s were never used in combat during World War II, they did serve in secondary roles, such as reconnaissance, training, transport and test-bed aircraft. Some of the Dragons used in transport service were redesignated UC-67s. After the war, all B-23s/UC-67s were declared surplus and many were sold to private operators for use as cargo and executive transports.
The museum's B-23 will require extensive restoration.