National Museum of the USAF   Right Corner Banner
Join the Air Force

Home > Fact Sheets > Pratt & Whitney R-1830-90C

PRATT & WHITNEY R-1830-90C

Posted 10/22/2013 Printable Fact Sheet
 
Photos 
Pratt & Whitney R-1830-90C
DAYTON, Ohio -- Pratt & Whitney R-1830-90C engine on display in the Presidential Gallery at the National Museum of the United States Air Force. (U.S. Air Force photo)
Download HiRes

Note: This engine is located in the Presidential Gallery on a controlled-access portion of Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. Click here for requirements to visit this gallery.

The Pratt & Whitney R-1830 Twin Wasp engine was one of the most efficient and reliable engines of the 1930s. It was introduced in 1932 with either a 6.1 or 6.5 compression ratio and 775 or 825 hp, respectively, at 2,400 rpm.

To reach its designed power, the R-1830 needed the highest octane gasoline available. Using improved fuel, the R-1830 reached 1,000 hp and later 1,200 hp. It has 14 cylinders in two banks of seven.

The R-1830 was used on B-24s, C-47s and the Grumman F4F-4 Wildcat, until it was phased out by Grumman. Pratt & Whitney built 13,464 R-1830-90C engines for the C-47 aircraft. It was also used in a variety of British aircraft including the Royal Air Force Catalinas, Short Sunderland Vs, Maryland bombers and Bristol Beauforts.

TECHNICAL NOTES:
Model: R-1830-90C
Type: 14-cylinder, air-cooled, twin row radial
Displacement: 1,830 cu.in.
Maximum rpm: 2,400
Maximum hp: 1,200
Weight: 1,467 lbs.

Click here to return to the Presidential Gallery.







 Inside the Museum

ima cornerSearch

ima cornerEngines

 


tabCategories
tabRelated Links
tabConnect

Museum Virtual TourMuseum PodcastsMuseum E-newsletter Sign-upMuseum RSS Feeds
Museum Facebook PageMuseum Twitter PageMuseum Pinterest PageMuseum Flickr PageMuseum YouTube Channel



Site Map      Contact Us     Questions     USA.gov     Security and Privacy notice     E-publishing  
Suicide Prevention    SAPR   IG   EEO   Accessibility/Section 508   No FEAR Act