The Wright Aeronautical Corp. introduced the 9-cylinder, air-cooled, R-1820 radial engine in 1931. Developed from earlier "Cyclone" engines of the late 1920s, the larger and more powerful R-1820 produced 575 hp; however, engineers dramatically improved its performance over many years of production, with several later versions being rated at 1,525 hp.
Although the R-1820 powered thousands of military and civilian aircraft, it remains best known as the engine that powered Boeing's B-17 Flying Fortress in World War II.
The R-1820B on display is an early version rated at 575 hp. More powerful 775-hp R-1820-33s powered the Martin B-10.