National Museum of the USAF   Right Corner Banner
Join the Air Force

Questions > FAQ Topic

Can I get an answer to a research question by e-mail or phone?

All research requests must be written and sent via regular mail. Mail requests to Research Division, National Museum of the United States Air Force, 1100 Spaatz Street, Wright-Patterson AFB OH 45433-7102.

Can I order copies of technical information, manuals or reports?

Unfortunately, we are not equipped to provide the public with photocopies of archival documents maintained in the museum's collection. For example, we are unable to provide copies of Aircraft Technical Orders, Technical Manuals or Foreign Aircraft Evaluation Data. The only way to access this material is to schedule an appointment to visit the Research Division in person. In most cases, documents maintained by the Research Division are also publicly available through the National Archives, Library of Congress and the Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum.

Can you provide historical photographs or film footage for a book/article?

Please refer to the museum's Photography, Filming and Lighting FAQ.

Do you have service records, unit histories, U.S. Air Force accident reports or Missing Air Crew Reports (MACR)?

Military service records are kept at the National Archives. Unit histories are kept at the Air Force Historical Research Center. Air Force accident reports are kept at the USAF Safety Center. MACRs are filed in several locations, including the National Archives and the Air Force Historical Research Center.

I'm a scale modeler and I need three view drawings, detailed photographs, paint schemes, etc. Can I get them from the Research Division?

Because of the overwhelming demand for this type of information, museum staff cannot support modelers' requests. The growing number of commercial publications containing this information is now filling the needs of most modelers. Detailed construction drawings and technical information is made available by the Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum.

I'm looking for information about a family member who once served in the Air Force. How can I get a copy of their personnel records?

When an individual is separated from military service (because of retirement, discharge from active duty or death), his/her Field Personnel File (containing all military and health records) is forwarded for storage to the National Personnel Records Center. This information is made available to family members as outlined on their website.

What other sites have information on aviation history?

Air Force History
Air Force Historical Foundation
Air Force Historical Research Agency
Air Force Historical Studies Office
Air National Guard History Program
Defense Imagery 
Library of Congress
National Archives & Record Administration
National Naval Aviation Museum
National Personnel Records Center 
Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum
Wright Brothers Collection at Wright State University

tab Topics 
50th Anniversary of JFK's Assassination
Air Force Museum Foundation
Aircraft Interiors
Aviation Museums
Child Visitors
Dayton Aviation Sites
Digital 3D Theatre
Donate an Item
Driving Directions
Educational Programs
Employment Opportunities
Flying to the Museum
Food and Drink
Foreign Visitors
Hours and Admission
Memphis BelleĀ®
Military Reunions
Modelers and Model Airplanes
Museum Expansion
Museum Store
Museum Tours
Pet Facilities
Photography, Filming and Lighting
Presidential and R&D Galleries
Public Transportation
Research Resources
Restoration Projects
Scout Groups
Smoking Policy
USAF Recruiting
Visitors with Disabilities

 Inside the Museum

ima cornerSearch

tabRelated Links

Museum Virtual TourMuseum Facebook PageMuseum Twitter PageMuseum Instagram
Museum Google Plus PageMuseum Pinterest PageMuseum YouTube ChannelMuseum Flickr Page
Museum PodcastsMuseum E-newsletter Sign-upMuseum RSS Feeds

Site Map      Contact Us     Questions     Security and Privacy notice     E-publishing  
Suicide Prevention    SAPR   IG   EEO   Accessibility/Section 508   No FEAR Act