Join us May 15-16, 2015 for a multitude of exciting space-related activities! The museum and a number of partner organizations will offer hands-on activities for all ages, including special appearances by astronauts, a 5K fun run/walk and 1-mile kids' race, a star-gaze with telescopes, a chance to see the museum's Space Shuttle Exhibit, model rocket building and launching, and much more. Admission to most activities is FREE!
Additional activities, such as astronaut appearances, trivia contests, concerts, movies and more, will be added as the event nears. Check back often for updates!
Friday, May 15
1-mile kids' fun run ($)
- Pre-registration entry fee is $15 per person (includes t-shirt)
- Registration offered on day of event for $15 (t-shirt not guaranteed)
- Participants receive ribbons
- Parents may accompany young children
5K Fun Run: Space Costume Edition ($)
- Pre-registration entry fee is $20 per person (includes t-shirt; fee increases to $25 after April 25)
- Registration offered on day of event for $30 (t-shirt not guaranteed)
Information for both races:
- Click here to register online (forms also available at WPAFB Fitness Centers)
- Races start with rocket launch
- Participants are encouraged to wear costumes (prizes will be awarded!)
- Base access not required to participate
Space-related movie in AF Museum Theatre ($)
- Movie title and guest speaker to be determined
Star-Gaze with telescopes (weather permitting) - Miami Valley Astronomical Society members available for questions beginning at 9 p.m.
- Click here to learn about star-gaze etiquette
Saturday, May 16
10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Ongoing indoor space-related activities in event area in second building and in Cold War Gallery
- Learn about UFO information
- Hands-on demonstration stations
- Space-related make-it/take-it stations
- Space shuttle landing simulators
- Special costumed characters
- Space-related stories and crafts
- Tours of Space Shuttle Exhibit
- Much, much more!
10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Ongoing outdoor space-related activities (weather permitting)
- Rocket launches on front field
Model rocket build and fly begins (while supplies last)
9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Museum galleries and National Aviation Hall of Fame Learning Center open
9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Museum store, interactive simulators and Morphis MovieRide Simulator open ($) (reduced cost for Morphis; click here for simulator information)
Event schedule subject to change
($) indicates cost associated with activity
Special thanks to our costumed characters:
Ayn Wood (costume designer) 4Paws for Ability
Note: The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the National Museum of the USAF, the U.S. Air Force or the Department of Defense, of the external website, or the information, products or services contained therein.
For information on lodging in the area, please check with the local convention and visitors bureaus (CVBs):
Please note that for security reasons, all bags are subject to search, and backpacks, packages and large camera cases are not permitted within the museum. In addition, all adults may be asked to show their picture identification card upon entering the museum.