Sacred Cow, SAM 26000 moved into new fourth building
By Sarah Swan, National Museum of the U.S. Air Force
/ Published April 09, 2016
DAYTON, Ohio --
Restoration crews at the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force moved two presidential aircraft into the museum’s new fourth building on April 9. The VC-54C Sacred Cow, which was first used by President Franklin D. Roosevelt, and the VC-137C Air Force One (SAM 26000), which was used by eight presidents – Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, George H.W. Bush and Clinton, will be on display in the Presidential Gallery when the building opens to the public on June 8.
The 224,000 square foot fourth building will house four galleries – Research & Development, Space, Global Reach and Presidential, along with three science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) Learning Nodes.
Additional aircraft will be moved into the fourth building in the coming weeks, and the public will be able to view the moves from a designated area on the museum grounds. Information on the schedule will be updated on the museum’s website. A map of the viewing area and additional information about the expansion also are available on that page.
The National Museum of the U.S. Air Force, located at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base near Dayton, Ohio, is the world’s largest military aviation museum. With free admission and parking, the museum features more than 360 aerospace vehicles and missiles and thousands of artifacts amid more than 19 acres of indoor exhibit space. Each year about one million visitors from around the world come to the museum. For more information, visit www.nationalmuseum.af.mil.
NOTE TO PUBLIC: For more information, please contact the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force at (937) 255-3286.
NOTE TO MEDIA: For more information, please contact Sarah Swan at the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force Public Affairs Division at (937) 255-1283.