Aero Commander U-4B By This U-4B, a U.S. Air Force version of the Aero Commander L-26, was used by President Dwight D. Eisenhower from 1956 to 1960 for short trips. A pilot himself, President Eisenhower would often take the controls, primarily during trips between Washington, D.C., and his farm in Gettysburg, Penn. The first presidential aircraft to have only two engines, the U-4B was also the first presidential aircraft to carry the familiar blue and white paint scheme. After President Eisenhower left office, the aircraft transported high-ranking government officials, including the Secretary of Defense and the Secretary of the Air Force. In October 1969 it was transferred to the Air Force Academy’s skydiving team and was used as a jump plane for parachute training. The aircraft was transferred again in November 1977, to the Nebraska Civil Air Patrol. The U-4B was obtained by the museum from a private owner in 1996 and placed on display in July 1996. TECHNICAL NOTES: Engines: Two Lycoming GSO 480-AiA6s of 340 hp each Maximum speed: 260 mph Service ceiling: 24,300 feet Range: 1,500 miles Weight: 7,000 lbs. (loaded) Click here to return to the Presidential Gallery.