Published June 08, 2015
This squadron was organized at Rockwell Field, near San Diego, Calif., on Aug. 1, 1917. It was assigned as a Corps Observation Squadron performing short-range tactical reconnaissance over the IV Corps sector of the Western Front in France. The 135th Aero Squadron was nicknamed the "Liberty Squadron" as it was the first U.S. unit to use the American-built DH-4 airplane and because it was the first all-American squadron on the Front. (U.S. Air Force photo)
Please note Springfield Street, the road that leads to the museum’s entrance, is undergoing construction through the beginning of September. Expect lane reductions and some delays. Please follow the signs and instructions provided by the road crews.
Additional information about our COVID precautions available here
The National Museum of the U.S. Air Force is located at:
1100 Spaatz Street
Wright-Patterson AFB OH 45433
(near Dayton, Ohio)