North American designed the T-28 to replace the World War II era T-6 trainer. First flown in September 1949, the Trojan entered production in 1950. An 800-hp engine powered the USAF version (T-28A) while the later U.S. Navy versions (T-28B and C) were powered by a 1,425-hp engine. When production ended in 1957, North American had built a total of 1,948 of these three versions.
In 1962 the Air Force began a program to modify more than 200 T-28As as T-28D "Nomad" tactical fighter-bombers for counter-insurgency warfare in Southeast Asia. Equipped with the larger 1,425-hp engines and many other changes, the T-28Ds eventually proved to be an effective close air support weapon against enemy ground forces. The South Vietnamese Air Force (VNAF) used a number of USAF-supplied T-28Bs in a similar role until the Ds became available. The USAF also provided T-28s to the Royal Laotian Air Force and the Royal Thai Air Force.
The T-28B on display (Navy BuNo 140048) was flown to the museum in March 1987. It is painted as a VNAF T-28B assigned to Bien Hoa Air Base in 1962, where USAF pilots trained and flew combat missions with VNAF crews in Operation Farm Gate.
Armament: Two .50-cal. machine guns, plus 1,800 lbs. of bombs or rockets
Maximum speed: 346 mph
Cruising speed: 230 mph
Range: 1,060 miles
Ceiling: 37,000 ft.
Span: 40 ft. 7 in.
Length: 32 ft. 6 in.
Height: 12 ft. 7 in.
Click here to return to the Southeast Asia War Gallery