The Counter Invader was a highly modified version of the Douglas A-26 Invader, a World War II attack bomber. Redesignated B-26 in 1948, the Invader served again during the Korean War (1950-1953), mainly as a night intruder against North Korean supply lines. It was removed from service in 1958, but in 1961 the USAF recalled many Invaders for use as tactical bombers in Southeast Asia. Combat duty and two decades of wear took their toll, and in 1964 the B-26s again were removed from service.
In 1966 the old bomber was resurrected once more when the improved B-26K Counter Invader returned to Southeast Asia for ground-attack missions along the Ho Chi Minh Trail. Modified by On Mark Engineering, the B-26K had a rebuilt fuselage and tail, strengthened wings, improved engines, reversible propellers, wing-tip fuel tanks and other refinements. Redesignated A-26As, Counter Invaders remained in Southeast Asia until 1969 and retired from USAF service.
Originally an A-26C converted to B-26K, the Counter Invader on display was one of the first six to arrive at Nakhon Phanom Royal Thai Air Force Base in 1966. In November 1980 it was flown to the museum.
Armament: Eight .50-cal. nose guns, eight wing pylons capable of carrying 8,000 lbs. of mixed ordnance, and 4,000 lbs. of bombs internally
Engines: Two Pratt & Whitney R-2800 of 2,500 hp
Maximum speed: 323 mph
Range: 2,700 miles
Ceiling: 30,000 ft.
Span: 71 ft. 6 in.
Length: 51 ft. 7 in.
Height: 19 ft.
Weight: 38,314 lbs. maximum
Click here to return to the Southeast Asia War Gallery.
|Find Out More
|Related Fact Sheets
|Pratt & Whitney R-2800 Engine
|Note: The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the National Museum of the USAF, the U.S. Air Force, or the Department of Defense, of the external website, or the information, products or services contained therein.