Allison V-1710 The V-1710 engine was the product of an extensive Army program to develop a high-power, liquid-cooled engine. Derived from a model designed in 1930 for airship use, the V-1710 was first used by the Air Corps in 1932. Rated at 1,000 hp, it was installed in the Consolidated XA-11A, an experimental attack version of the Consolidated P-25. By 1938 the engine's output had been increased to 1,150 hp and it was used to power the Bell X/YFM-1 multiplace fighters. The V-1710 was continually improved, and during World War II its output was increased to 1,475 hp in some engine series. During the war, it was used primarily in the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk, the Bell P-39 Airacobra and the twin-engine Lockheed P-38 Lightning. It was also used in early versions of the North American P-51 Mustang. The engine on display, a right-hand drive V-1710-51, is of the series used primarily in the P-38G. When installed in a twin-engine P-38, it was paired with a left-hand drive V-1710-55 engine to counteract the effect of torque. The only difference between the two engines was the direction of propeller-shaft rotation. TECHNICAL NOTES: Model: V-1710-51 (right-hand drive) Type: 12-cylinder, supercharged Displacement: 1,710 cu.in. Weight: 1,345 lbs. Maximum rpm: 3,000 Maximum hp: 1,325 Cost: $19,000 Click here to return to the World War II Gallery. Find Out More Related Fact Sheets Lockheed P-38L Lightning Bell P-39Q Airacobra Curtiss P-40E Warhawk North American P-51D Mustang Note: The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the National Museum of the USAF, the U.S. Air Force, or the Department of Defense, of the external website, or the information, products or services contained therein.