Dubbed the "Bamboo Bomber" by the pilots who flew them, the UC-78 was a military version of the commercial Cessna T-50 light transport. Cessna first produced the wood and tubular steel, fabric-covered T-50 in 1939 for the civilian market. In 1940 the U.S. Army Air Corps ordered them under the designation AT-8 as multi-engine advanced trainers.
Cessna built 33 AT-8s for the Air Corps and production continued under the designation AT-17 to reflect a change in equipment and engine types. In 1942 the U.S. Army Air Forces adopted the Bobcat as a light personnel transport and designated those delivered after Jan. 1, 1943, as UC-78s. By the end of World War II, Cessna produced more than 4,600 Bobcats for the USAAF, 67 of which were transferred to the U.S. Navy as JRC-1s. In addition, Cessna produced 822 Bobcats for the Royal Canadian Air Force as Crane 1s.
The UC-78 on display is one of the 1,806 UC-78Bs built for the USAAF and was acquired by the museum in 1982.
Engines: Two Jacobs R-755-9s of 245 hp each
Maximum speed: 175 mph
Cruising speed: 150 mph
Range: 750 miles
Ceiling: 15,000 ft.
Span: 41 ft. 11 in.
Length: 32 ft. 9 in.
Height: 9 ft. 11 in.
Weight: 5,700 lbs. maximum
Serial number: 42-71626
Click here to return to the World War II Gallery.
|Note: The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the National Museum of the USAF, the U.S. Air Force, or the Department of Defense, of the external website, or the information, products or services contained therein.