The L-5 was the military version of the commercial Stinson 105 Voyager. The U.S. Army Air Forces purchased six Voyagers in 1941 as YO-54s for testing, and quantity orders for Sentinels began in 1942. Between 1942-1945, the USAAF ordered 3,590 L-5s, making it the second most widely used USAAF liaison aircraft.
The unarmed L-5, with its short field takeoff and landing capability, was used for reconnaissance, front-line aeromedical evacuation, delivering supplies, laying communications wire, spotting enemy targets, personnel transport, rescue and even as a light bomber. In Asia and the Pacific, L-5s remained in service with the U.S. Air Force as late as 1955.
Donated by Dr. Robert R. Kundel of Rice Lake, Wis., the L-5 on display was restored by the "Oriole Club" 133rd Tactical Airlift Wing, Minnesota Air National Guard. Delivered to the museum in 1977, it is marked as an L-5 of the 25th Liaison Squadron serving in New Guinea in 1944.
Engine: Lycoming O-435-1 of 190 hp
Maximum speed: 130 mph
Cruising speed: 90 mph
Range: 360 miles
Ceiling: 15,600 ft.
Span: 34 ft.
Length: 24 ft. 1 in.
Height: 8 ft. 11 1/2 in.
Weight: 2,050 lbs. maximum
Click here to return to the World War II Gallery.
|Note: The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the National Museum of the USAF, the U.S. Air Force, or the Department of Defense, of the external website, or the information, products or services contained therein.