The B-24 was employed in operations in every combat theater during World War II. Because of its great range, it was particularly suited for such missions as the famous raid from North Africa against the oil industry at Ploesti, Rumania, on Aug. 1, 1943. This feature also made the airplane suitable for long over-water missions in the Pacific Theater. More than 18,000 Liberators were produced.
The B-24D on display flew combat missions from North Africa in 1943-1944 with the 512th Bomb Squadron. It was flown to the museum in May 1959. It is the same type airplane as the "Lady Be Good" -- the world-famous B-24D that disappeared on a mission from North Africa in April 1943 and was found in the Libyan Desert in May 1959.
Armament: 10 .50-cal. machine guns and 8,000 lbs. of bombs
Engines: Four Pratt & Whitney R-1830s of 1,200 hp each
Maximum speed: 303 mph
Cruising speed: 175 mph
Range: 2,850 miles
Ceiling: 28,000 ft.
Span: 110 ft.
Length: 66 ft. 4 in.
Height: 17 ft. 11 in.
Weight: 56,000 lbs. loaded
Serial number: 42-72843
Click here to return to the World War II Gallery.