In August 1940 the U.S. Army Air Corps joined in the development of radio-controlled target aircraft for training anti-aircraft artillery gunners. These unmanned targets would be controlled by radio signals from the ground or a "mother" aircraft, but would have provisions for carrying a pilot for ferry flights or check flights. The Culver Aircraft Corp. submitted the only design that was accepted for production and subsequently became a major producer of radio-controlled aerial target aircraft for the Army and Navy during World War II.
Culver built three basic models in quantity for the Army (with corresponding models for the Navy). The PQ-8, powered by a 90-hp engine, was based on the civilian Culver Model LFA Cadet sport airplane and was succeeded by the faster PQ-8A. The success of the PQ-8 series led to the development of the larger and faster PQ-14 with a retractable landing gear and fuselage, wings and tail components made of wood with stressed plywood skin. During WWII, the USAAF procured 2,043 PQ-14s, 1,198 of which went to the Navy.
The PQ-14B on display at the museum was donated in 1983 by Mr. Robert E. Parcell of Fort Worth, Texas. It is painted and marked in a typical WWII scheme, although some PQ-14s remained in service for several years after the war.
Engine: Franklin O-300 of 150 hp
Maximum speed: 185 mph
Cruising speed: 154 mph
Range: 362 miles
Ceiling: 17,000 ft.
Span: 30 ft. 0 in.
Length: 19 ft. 6 in.
Height: 8 ft. 4 in.
Weight: 1,820 lbs. maximum
Serial number: 44-68462
Click here to return to the World War II Gallery.
|Note: The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the National Museum of the USAF, the U.S. Air Force, or the Department of Defense, of the external website, or the information, products or services contained therein.