In the mid-1930s, radio-controlled model airplanes became the basis for the U.S. Army Air Corps' development of the aerial targets for antiaircraft gunnery training. Starting in 1935, the Radioplane Co. in California developed several variations of an original design by former movie star and modeler Reginald Denny. The successful OQ-2A generated contracts for almost 1,000 targets in 1943.
The OQ-2A launched from a catapult, and a controller flew it with a control box on the ground. To recover, the OQ-2A deployed a 24-foot diameter parachute, and it floated down to the ground.
Although Radioplane developed the OQ-2A, other companies shared in production contracts. The target on display was the last in the 1943 production run by the Frankfort Sailplane Co. of Joliet, Ill. It was donated in 1970 by John C. Smith of Massillon, Ohio.
Engine: One O-15-1 2-cylinder, air-cooled, two-cycle of 6 hp
Maximum speed: 90 mph
Endurance: 60 minutes
Ceiling: 8,000 ft.
Span: 13 ft. 3 in.
Length: 8 ft. 8 in.
Height: 2 ft. 8 in.
Weight: 108 lbs.
Click here to return to the World War II Gallery.
|Note: The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the National Museum of the USAF, the U.S. Air Force, or the Department of Defense, of the external website, or the information, products or services contained therein.