The TG-3A is a two-place, dual-control glider manufactured for the U.S. Army Air Forces by the Schweizer Aircraft Co. during World War II. In 1942 the USAAF evaluated a prototype derived from the Schweizer SGS 2-12 high-performance sailplane. After testing three XTG-3s, the AAF ordered 110 TG-3As from Schweizer (50 more were ordered from Air Glider but only one was built). Student glider pilots normally received about six hours dual instruction in the TG-3As before being trained in the large CG-4A cargo glider.
The TG-3As wings are made of spruce and mahogany plywood covered with fabric. It is equipped with spoilers (used to increase descent rate) as well as ailerons. The fuselage is constructed of welded chrome-molybdenum steel tubing which is also fabric covered. The landing gear is a single unsprung wheel with a disc brake. In addition, there are skids on the nose, tail and wing tips.
The TG-3A on display was donated by Henry A. Shevchuk. It was restored by the Spartan School of Aeronautics, Tulsa, Okla., and delivered to the museum in December 1980.
Crew: Two (instructor pilot and student)
Maximum speed: 100 mph towed or free
Stall speed: 38 mph
Glide ratio: 20 to 1
Span: 54 ft.
Length: 27 ft. 7 in.
Height: 8 ft.
Weight: 1,200 lbs. loaded
Click here to return to the World War II Gallery.
|Find Out More
|Related Fact Sheets
|Waco CG-4A Hadrian
|Note: The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the National Museum of the USAF, the U.S. Air Force, or the Department of Defense, of the external website, or the information, products or services contained therein.