A military version of the civilian Ryan STA, the YPT-16 became the first monoplane acquired by the U.S. Army Air Corps as a primary trainer. The Air Corps ordered 15 YPT-16s after purchasing a single Ryan STA-1 in 1939 for testing as the XPT-16. From 1940-1942, the Air Corps bought nearly 1,200 more similar Ryan trainers as PT-20s, PT-21s and PT-22s.
The YPT-16 had a metal fuselage and wooden wing spars with fabric covering and external wire bracing. Originally powered by Menasco L-365 in-line engines, all but one were later reequipped with Kinner R-440 radial engines.
Acquired by the museum in 1986, the aircraft on display is a Ryan STA withdrawn from the YPT-16 production run. Never owned by the Air Corps, it flew under civilian registration. However, the logbook shows that the aircraft participated in demonstrations to Air Corps officials at Wright Field, Ohio, in July 1939.
Engine: One Menasco L-365 engine of 125 hp
Maximum speed: 128 mph
Cruising speed: 118 mph
Range: 350 miles
Ceiling: 10,000 ft.
Span: 30 ft.
Length: 21 ft. 6 in.
Height: 10 ft. 1 in.
Weight: 1,600 lbs. loaded
Click here to return to the Early Years Gallery.