The AIM-4F was the first air-to-air guided weapon to enter service with the USAF, becoming operational in 1955. Production began in 1952, and 10 versions were produced for use on F-89, F-101, F-102, F-106 and F-4 aircraft. Over 50,000 Falcons had been built when production ended in 1963.
The Super Falcon series was developed to meet mission requirements of the F-106 interceptor. A small number of interim AIM-4E missiles entered service in 1958. These were replaced by the AIM-4F and AIM-4G, which were introduced simultaneously in 1960. These missiles had a higher speed and ceiling, longer range, better seeker systems and more powerful warheads than their predecessors. The AIM-4F has an improved radar guidance system with greater accuracy and increased resistance to enemy jamming. The AIM-4G is the infrared-seeking counterpart to the AIM-4F, with a more effective infrared detector. AIM-4F/G missiles weigh 150 pounds, with a length of seven feet and a wingspan of two feet. They were carried in mixed loads on USAF and Air National Guard F-106 aircraft.
The F-106 and AIM-4F/G were retired from service in 1988.
Click here to return to the Cold War Gallery