1913 Military Aviator Badge By Note: This item is currently in storage. The Military Aviator Badge was authorized by the War Department in 1913. This badge was in standard usage among a small number of pilots until August 1917, when the military aviator wing badge in silver was introduced. An original, authentic 1913 military aviator badge is now quite a rare item to locate. The National Museum of the United States Air Force holds only one original badge in our collection. It is attributed to 1st Lt. Hollis LeRoy Muller, originally of the Coast Artillery Corps, who went on to have a distinguished career rising to the rank of colonel and as an author of military texts such as Techniques of Modern Arms published in 1940. Click here to return to the Featured Accessions index.