The T-37 is a twin-engine primary trainer used for teaching the fundamentals of jet aircraft operation and for flying on instruments, in formation and at night. Affectionately known as the "Tweety Bird," it was the first U.S. Air Force jet designed from conception as a trainer. Its flying characteristics helped student pilots prepare to transition to the larger, faster T-38 Talon later in the pilot training program. Side-by-side seating in the T-37 made it easy for the instructor to observe and communicate with the student.
The XT-37 prototype first flew in 1954, and the T-37A entered USAF service in 1957. In 1959 the T-37B entered service with more powerful engines, a redesigned instrument panel, and improved radio communications and navigational equipment. In time, all -As were modified to -B standards.
The T-37C, with provisions for armament and extra fuel, was built for export. Both T-37Bs and -Cs serve the air forces of several Allied nations. In all, nearly 1,300 T-37As, -Bs and -Cs were built before production ended in the late 1970s. In addition, nearly 600 A-37s -- attack modifications of the T-37 -- were built.
The T-37B on display was flown to the museum on Oct. 8, 1991.
Maximum speed: 410 mph
Range: 650 miles
Service ceiling: 35,000 ft.
Engines: Two Continental J69-T-25s of 1,025 lbs. thrust each
Span: 33 ft. 10 in.
Length: 29 ft. 4 in.
Height: 9 ft. 5 in.
Weight: 6,580 lbs. maximum
Serial number: 57-2289
Click here to return to the Cold War Gallery.