Republic F-84F Thunderstreak Evolved from the straight-wing F-84, the F-84F prototype first flew in June 1950. Deliveries began in 1954, with most of the aircraft going to the Tactical Air Command as a ground support fighter bomber. Republic built 2,112 F-84Fs while General Motors fabricated 599 more. Of these, 1,301 were delivered to NATO air forces. Production of a reconnaissance version, the RF-84F, totaled 715 aircraft, including 386 for allied countries. To accommodate cameras in the nose, Republic moved the RF-84F's air intakes to the wing roots. Through the late 1950s, the U.S. Air Force replaced its F-84Fs with supersonic F-100s, and the Thunderstreaks went to Air National Guard units. However, some F-84Fs temporarily returned to USAF service in the early 1960s due to the Berlin crisis. The aircraft on display was flown to the museum in 1970 following its assignment to the Ohio Air National Guard. During its career, it served in England, Greece, Alaska and the continental United States. In 1961 it participated in the mass deployment of 200 fighters across the Atlantic Ocean to Europe in response to the Berlin situation. TECHNICAL NOTES: Armament: Six .50-cal. machine guns and 24 5-in. rockets; 6,000 lbs. of bombs externally Engine: Wright J65-W-3 of 7,220 lbs. thrust Maximum speed: 685 mph Range: 1,900 miles Span: 33 ft. 7 in. Length: 43 ft. 5 in. Height: 15 ft. Weight: 27,000 lbs. maximum Serial number: 52-6526 Click here to return to the Cold War Gallery.