The Standard Aircraft Co. J-1 was a two-seat primary trainer used by the U.S. Army Air Service to supplement the JN-4 Jenny. Similar in appearance to the JN-4, the J-1 was more difficult to fly and never gained the popularity of the legendary Jenny.
Standard developed the J-1 from the earlier Sloan and Standard H-series aircraft designed by Charles Healey Day. Four companies -- Standard, Dayton-Wright, Fisher Body and Wright-Martin -- built 1,601 J-1s. The government cancelled about 2,700 more J-1s on order after the signed of the Armistice in November 1918.
Museum personnel completed a two-year restoration of the aircraft on display in 1981.
Curtiss OXX-6 of 100 hp (Hall-Scott engines were most commonly used, but some were equipped with Curtiss or Hispana-Suiza engines)
43 ft. 10 in.
26 ft. 7 in.
10 ft. 10 in.
2,100 lbs. loaded
Click here to return to the Early Years Gallery